Grasstrack Getting Started

If you think you’d like to get involved in Grass Track racing here are a few tips to help get you started:


For your own protection you will need either a one piece set of racing leathers or a Kevlar race suit (complete with built in body armour).  If your Kevlar race suit does not have ‘built in’ body armour, you can buy suitable ‘body suits’ that can be worn underneath the suit.

Back Protectors are Compulsory! – again for your own personal protection you should purchase a suitable back protector (which is worn under your race suit). This will offer additional protection to your back and spine, should you fall off – and there will be times when you will!!

Leather boots with a minimum mid-calf length are required for both Solo riders and Sidecar drivers.  Sidecar passengers should wear boots which cover their ankles as a minimum.

Helmets must be ACU approved (to the Gold stamp standard).  Buying cheap is not really an option on this piece of kit!

Goggles need to be worn and you can purchase these from any off road motorcycle clothing retailer.  Roll-offs or tear-offs are also a good option (these fit onto your goggles and are very useful for when the mud is flying!)

Leather or similar material motorcycling gloves – again make sure you have a reasonable level of protection in them.

D-Star Racewear


Youth classes – youngsters can start from 6 years old – riding on a 50cc machine

Adult classes – you can start riding from the age 15 – with at 250cc machine, and as your confidence builds you can step up to 500cc – Solo machines

1000cc Left-hand, 1000cc Right-hand, 500cc – Sidecar machines

Riders past and present will be only too pleased to offer any help or advice when you’re deciding which class to start in as well as any items that may be available for sale. You can also check on the availability of equipment and race wear on the grasstrackgb Facebook page.

Also consider checking out E-bay and try searching ‘Grass track’.  You will find that lots of grass trackers use this website to offer their items for sale.

You may well see a bike with a ‘for sale’ sign on it at a Grass Track meeting, and if not it’s a great chance to ask around.


You must have a racing licence before you are eligible to compete at race meetings in the UK.  These can be purchased as a ‘One day’ licence on the day – from the Secretary of the meeting, usually to be found at the ‘Signing On‘ tent/caravan.  Alternatively, you can apply direct to the ACU for an annual licence – forms can be obtained either from the ACU or from your local club secretary.  The current cost is £45 for an annual licence and £10 for a one-day licence.   You will also need to become a member of an ACU affiliated club of your choice, and once enrolled you will need to obtain a membership number from them before your licence can be sent off to the ACU for processing. For those taking out a one day licence, you can use this afterwards when applying to the ACU for an annual licence. Send in the one day licence as proof of purchase and the cost of the annual licence will be reduced by £10.00. Only one one-day licence can be used in this manner. Licences can also be applied for online using the ACU website.

You start riding in the restricted class, which is for beginners and those who have not earned enough points to obtain their National licence. If there is an ’Open‘class then restricted riders can enter these too.

To upgrade to a National licence, drivers must obtain signatures to demonstrate that they have finished in 6 finals at lower level events. Sidecar passengers wishing to upgrade to a National licence must obtain signatures to demonstrate they have finished in 6 finals at lower level events.


Grass Track consists of both Youth and Adult classes, starting from the age of 6 years on 50cc automatic bikes right up to 1000cc sidecars in the Adult classes. Whilst you won’t see every class run at every meeting, here is some additional  information on the classes available and a summary of the class restrictions as imposed by the Auto Cycle Union, the sports’ governing body;

When a rider reaches the maximum age for his or her group, they may continue in that group until the end of the calendar year, OR upgrade on his or her birthday. The ACU measures ages by the age the child was, on January 1st of the year in which they plan to race.

No rider may compete before his/her 6th birthday. Riders may compete until the end of the year in which their 18th birthday falls. A rider may be upgraded to compete in Adult competitions on or after his/her 15th birthday up to a maximum capacity of 350cc, and may only revert to Senior Class Youth competition.

There are no restrictions to the type or level of youth event that a rider may enter. All riders must be capable of sitting on their machines at the start line (unaided) with the machine in an upright position with one foot firmly on the ground and the other on the footrest. Production Motocross machines will NOT be allowed in any other Grasstrack class apart from the Auto Cadet & Cadets which must not exceed the stated capacity. There are separate Motocross classes for ages 7 – 15.



Auto Cadet Ages 6 – 7 years, 50cc Automatic
Cadet   Ages 6 – 8 years, 65cc 2 stroke – 110cc 4 stroke
Junior  Ages 9 – 11 years, 100cc 2 stroke – 200cc 4 stroke
Intermediate Ages 12/14 years, 150cc 2 stroke – 250cc 4 stroke
Senior A Ages 15/18 years, 250cc 2 stroke – 350cc 4 stroke
Senior B Ages 15/18 years, 350cc 2 stroke – 350cc 4 stroke
Junior 65 MX Ages 7/10 years, 65cc 2 stroke – 125cc 4 stroke. Motocross 12/14 inch wheels
Inter 85 MX (SW) Ages 9/12 years, 85cc 2 stroke – 155cc 4 stroke. Motocross 14/17 inch wheels
Inter 85 MX (BW) Ages 11/15 years, 85cc 2 stroke – 155cc 4 stroke. Motocross 16/19 inch wheels




250cc Solo Age 16 years
350cc Solo Age 16 years
500cc Solo Age 16 years
Upright Solo Age 16 years
Vintage Solo Age 16 years
500cc Sidecar Age 16 years
1000cc Right-hand Sidecar Age 18 years
1000cc Left-hand Sidecar Age 18 years


The ACU issues an updated handbook each year which contains the current regulations (rules) for each class and event as well as the relevant information on riders’ competition licences.



You will need to obtain the correct entry form from the Secretary of the club which is running the meeting you wish to enter. Alternatively, these can be obtained from this website.

You will also find that some clubs have a website (see Links). Also a ‘What’s On’ section in the Speedway Star magazine which is available at selected newsagents every Thursday or you can visit their website and take out a subscription.

Entry fees do vary from club to club, however, generally you will find the following as a useful guide as to what to expect:

Fee Guide  
Youth Entries £15.00 each (this may vary from club to club)
Solo Entries £25.00 each (this may vary from club to club)
Sidecar Entries £30.00 each (this may vary from club to club)


Remember though, these are guidelines only and if you’re attending a larger/higher profile event, you may find that the entry fees are a little more expensive.

Once you have completed your entry form, you will need to post it to the Secretary of the meeting as published along with a cheque to cover your entry fee.  Most clubs won’t bank your entry fee until the meeting has taken place.


A race meeting will normally start about 09.30 – 10.00am with the technical inspection of your motorcycle and clothing. You will also need to ‘sign on’.  Remember to take your ACU Licence or purchase a ‘one-day’ licence.


After this the Secretary of the meeting will give you your practice tickets and a programme which will tell you which races you are entered in for the day ahead.

Most clubs start the practice sessions around 11.00am.  You will need to be fully kitted up and ready to go out onto the track. It is compulsory to complete a minimum of 2 practice laps before you can race.

Racing will generally start at around 1.00pm.  At the end of the day, any trophies or prize money will be presented.

Once the racing & presentations have finished load up your bike and set off for home, hopefully chatting about a brilliant day & planning your next outing.


All ACU events are permitted and covered by insurance. Public liability at an event run to Premier insurance is £30 million and any events run under the Basic insurance scheme is covered up to £10 million.

There is NO personal accident insurance cover included for competitors racing at an event run under Basic insurance.

The ACU strongly recommends that any competitor seriously considers taking out their own personal accident insurance. Cover can be provided by contacting Locktons Motor Sport Risk Services on 0161 828 3300.



Visit Us On Facebook