Frittenden Report 25-5-14

Making another appearances at Sandhurst Farm and first on the line were the Motor-cross boys. In the line-up were some well-known grasstrackers Mark Richardson, Gareth Winterburn, Kevin Woodley and John Yeldham. In the four heats, Ben Wells took one win and Tim Greig three, with Steve Hall and Mark Richardson always in contention. The victory in the final went to Greig with Steve Hall runner-up Richardson took the final podium spot.


The grasstrackers started out with the 350s and Georgie Wood looked back to his best with a win in the first heat. He went on to take a clean sweep winning all four legs, with Harland Cook coming second overall having come second in three heats,  and Mark Giles took third overall.


The Left-hand sidecars were next out. Martin Cuff & Colin Clarke took the win from Eirwyn Alex Balman. In the next heat on-form Charlie Ridley & Harry McQuirke took the win from Andy Pack & Michael Chittenden. Cuff and Ridley both went on to finish the heats with three wins each and the Balman’s finished equal with Will Penfold & Ricky Pay who looked be struggling. In the final, though, Penfold & Pay looked back to their best and went off like a rocket. They led for three and a half laps but Cuff & Clarke ducked inside on the final bend to take the win and defend the Battle of Britain title. Ridley & McQuirke got another podium finishing third.


In the 250s, it was once again the youth who stole the show as both Callum Walker and Zach Wajknecht took two heats wins a-piece.  Trevor Clarricoats and Tim Greig also went well, finishing the heats above Walker who had fallen in the second leg. In the final Wajknecht took his second win of the season beating Callum Walker into second from Tim Greig in third.


The Uprights, although not strongly supported, put up some great racing in the early heats. Graeme Brown showed his usual style to win the first leg from Chris Mackett.  Wayne Barrett and John Yeldham went toe to toe before Yeldham dropped it on the pits bend in leg two. Both Brown and Barrett went into the final with two wins a-piece. Other heat winners were Rob Snow and Tim Curnock. In the final Barrett and Brown put up a great fight, with both leading at different stages. Barrett, though, finally got the better and took the win. Brown, as last year, took second and Mackett once again took a podium spot.


There was an exciting and open line-up in the big solos and the racing didn’t let the crowd down. In the nine heats, there were seven different winners, Mark Baseby and James Shanes took two each and Harland Cook, Paul Cooper, Martyn Sturgeon, James Theobald and Charley Powell all took one. Cooper, though, was the big name to miss out on the final after having mechanical gremlins in his last heat. In the final Sturgeon got a great start and it looked, for all the world, to have the win in the bag. With Cook and Shanes scrapping for second and third, the unlucky Sturgeon, leading comfortably, ‘chucked a chain’ on the final bend and Cook (second in 2013) took the win with Shanes second. Mitch Godden, who’d travelled back from racing in Holland overnight, as in 2013 took third. Sturgeon was still on the bike and ‘scooted’ over the finish line for fourth.


The Right-hand Sidecars once again showed why they are so exciting with some brilliant close racing. In the nine heats, Mark Cossar & Carl Blyth took three wins, Myles Simmons & Kevin Woodley took two, Gareth Winterburn & Liam Brown also took two, and one each went to Colin Blackbourn & Martyn Smith and Simon Beaney & Gareth Bemister. In the third heat, Paul Whitelam & Andy Colvin snr led from the tapes until the final turn where Gareth Winterburn & Liam Brown just got underneath to take the win, which ultimately cost Whitelam a place in the final. In race four Neil Owen & Jason Farwell had a nasty looking crash but fortunately they both walked away. The final was a great race with Cossar, Winterburn & Simmons all leading at some point. Winterburn just had the edge going into lap three but Cossar cut inside and took the win. Simmons also managed to get past Winterburn to take second. On appeal the result was overturned and Cossar was dropped to third, leaving Simmons to take the win and Winterburn promoted to second.



Visit Us On Facebook